Join us in the hunt for the fantastic phenomenon of nature – the Northern Lights. The scientific name on the Northern Lights is «Aurora Borealis». Aurora was the Goddess of the dawn, and Boreal means «northern».
Vesterålen is located under the Northern Lights oval, and is therefore perfectly placed for Aurora Borealis experiences. From Melbu and Stokmarknes we will bring guests into grand sceneries with our own guides.
“The Northern Lights are fireworks – unbelievable even for the most spirited mind. No colour and no brush is able to paint it, and no word is able to describe it’s greatness.”
– Carl Weyprecht, Austrian polar explorer
The Northern Lights season is between September and April. Every day Aurora is dancing, we are ready to take our guests out.
Program for our guests
- Pick-up points at Melbu, Stokmarknes and Sortland.
- Approximately 20 minutes drive to the area where we are to experience Aurora Borealis. An extra half an hour drive if you are picked up at Sortland. If needed, poles and crampons will be supplied by our guides at arrival.
- Guided Northern Lights experience. We will serve hot drinks and local snacks during the tour. Our guides have competence in photography, and advise is available for those who want to “catch” Aurora.
- We are returning to the hotels after approximately 3 to 4 hours. After the trip our guests will receive a Northern Lights certificate.
Included in the tour
- Transport to/from our camp and pick-up points
- Hot drinks and local snacks
- Crampons and poles (if needed)
- Northern Lights guide (English speaking)
- Northern Lights certificate
Important to know
To have a good experience it is important that you feel good, dry and warm. Our guide demands correct shoes and outfit, so our guests stay warm.
Information about how to dress properly for outdoor activities such as the Northern Lights Experience, please read our tips and advices here: How to dress properly for outdoor activities.
A backpack with food, drinks and extra clothes is also important for a good experience.
Sustainability and eco-friendly tourism are one of our main priorities. We do not want to leave any traces behind.
We hope you can help us with:
- Not throwing thrash in the nature.
- Walking on the trails already made.
- Listening to the guide’s instruction if we meet animals.
- Using available toilette facilities in the camp.
- Respecting the other participants.