In the Vesterålen Islands, you will find quite a lot of beautiful accessible mountains to hike – also in winter time. Vesterålen is also situated in the middle of the Northern Lights oval, and is therefore perfectly placed for Aurora Borealis experiences.
So we thought, why not combine the two most popular activities by going to the mountains in the search for the spectacular Northern Lights. In the mountains you will have the best chances to see the Aurora Borealis, because the light pollution here is at its absolutely minimum.
We arrange group trips during the fall, winter and spring season. Our trips will mainly take you to the southern parts of the Vesterålen Islands.
During our Northern Lights hikes we will try to take good photos if we find the Aurora Borealis. Our guide will help you to catch it on camera. This way you can bring the memory back home and share it with friends and family.
Program for our guests
- Pick-up points are Melbu Hotell, Vesterålen Kysthotell and Hurtigrutens Hus.
- Transport to the mountain we are to ascend, which is maximum 15 minutes drive from the hotel. When arrival at the mountain, our guests will be provided with poles, crampons and snowshoes (when needed).
- Guided hike in mountains, the highest points are between 260 and 530 meters above sea level. During the hike there will be plenty of breaks were you can enjoy the Aurora Borealis, food and drinks. Remember to bring your camera!
- After 4-5 hours, we will return to the pick-up points.
Included in the tour
- Transport to/from foot of the mountain and pick-up points (Melbu and Stokmarknes)
- Hiking poles, crampons and snowshoes
- Hot drinks
- Mountain/Northern Lights guide
Do you need food and drinks on tour?
It is possible to rent a backpack included local food, hot and cold drinks for NOK 295.
Important to know
To have a good experience it is important that you feel good, dry and warm. Our guide demands correct shoes and outfit, so our guests stay warm. If the outfit is not correct, you will not be allowed to participate.
Information about how to dress properly for mountain hiking, please read our tips and advices here: How to dress properly for outdoor activities.
A backpack with food, drinks and extra clothes is also important for a good experience.