Autumn is the time for picking berries, and this has been an important activity for several generations of Norwegians. Blue tongues after eating blueberry jam for breakfast was a normal sight at schools in the 70’s. Today, there are not as many as earlier picking berries, but for sure there is a great chance of seeing local “berry pickers” during this tour.
We will be walking through areas where there normally are growing a lot of berries – especially blueberry, lingonberry and crowberry. These areas are easy to reach, so now-one will be exhausted on this tour. Even if we are walking in lowland, the view will spice the hike into a bigger experience.
Berries we are looking for:
- Blueberry is traditionally wanted for making juice and jam. They are rich on antioxidants. From the past, they are known for stopping diarrhoea, and is claimed to have effect on diabetes.
- Lingonberry is a popular accessory for meat from pork and game. It is also used in desserts like «Trollkrem» and lingonberry with rice.
- Cloudberry has been regarded as the noblest of berries. It is popular in Norway because it’s lovely color og taste. Earlier it used to be an important remedy against scurvy. Today it is used for jam, cloudberry cream and liqueur.
- Crowberry is not used much, but it is suitable for juice, wine or jelly.
The berries you are picking can be brought back to the place where you live. Ask your hosts to help you transform them into breakfast products for the next day.
Program for our guests
- Pick-up points are Melbu Hotell, Vesterålen Kysthotell and Hurtigrutens Hus.
- Transport to the area where we will be picking berries. It is about a 15-20 minutes drive from last pick-up point. At arrival, there will be a 15-20 minutes walk to the area where we are picking berries.
- Picking berries about 2 hours.
- Walking back to the parking lot. Transport back to pick-up points.
This is included
- Transport from/to pick-up points (Melbu and Stokmarknes)
- English speaking guide
- Bags where you can store the berries
Important to know
To have a good experience it is important that you feel good, dry and warm. Our guide demands correct shoes and outfit, so our guests stay warm. If the outfit is not correct, you will not be allowed to participate.
Information about how to dress properly for outdoor activities, please read our tips and advices here: How to dress properly for outdoor activities.
A backpack with food, drinks and extra clothes is also important for a good experience.